A bird's eye view

Life from where I see it

Tuesday, September 14, 2004

Bloody cars

I love my Puma, probably more than is appropriate considering it is just a lump of metal, but yesterday he wasn’t quite the good kitty he usually is.

Although there is just 19,000 miles on the clock he needed a new clutch.

The first signs came when I accelerated up a hill in fourth and the engine revved but we didn’t go any faster. The second sign was when the garage took him apart and found the clutch plate worn down to the rivets.

I couldn’t believe it. Nor could the mechanic – these things are supposed to last about 80,000 miles.

The previous owner (a middle-aged woman who only ever “went down the shops” in him) must have thought she was Nigel Mansell, or something.

And, predictably, once work had started, another bit needed replacing, bringing the bill to £320.

Just what I needed when I am still struggling to flog my old Polo!

But now he goes even faster, and the clutch pedal is much lighter, which is nice.

Lessons learnt:
never drive with your foot resting on the clutch pedal
garages are money-grabbing bastards.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home