A bird's eye view

Life from where I see it

Monday, September 13, 2004

Taxi for Mr Spielberg

After the truly awful AI I vowed never to see another Speilberg film but, due to an oversight, I saw The Terminal yesterday.

It stars Tom Hanks, is based on some guy who actually lived in an airport – that much I did know up front. It is also terminally boring and overly sentimental.

I always thought that if I became homeless, Heathrow would be a good place to live. You could be there 24 hours a day, with all your stuff in a case and no-one would notice.

But in The Terminal, Viktor (Hanks) is living in the airport with the full knowledge of the authorities. He arrives from some Russian state which is having a war and his passport is invalid and he can’t go into New York, or something.

Most of the film was just blah-di-blah-di-blah-di-blah-blah.

Whole scenes went by which I can’t remember, especially the ones where the female lead (Catherine Zeta Jones) was whinging on about a married man she was in love with.

Anyway, some remarkable DIY projects, some matchmaking and some hanging out with the guys later, we find out why Viktor is happy to wait 10 months to leave the airport and go to NYC, only to turn round and promptly go home.

Cheese, cheese, cheese. From the man who made Jaws!

One interesting thing though, Viktor doesn’t speak much English (and sounds a lot like Borat!) and we don’t really get to know him.

It made me think – when you make friends with a Johnny Foreigner, you never do really get to know them; there is always a small part of them (and presumably you) obscured by cultural and language differences.

Congratulations to CZJ – she managed to look enough unlike herself to make me think Hollywood had found a CZJ look-alike and how that poor actress will always be compared to the real CZJ.

Except it was the real CZJ. Like I said, I didn’t do enough research before getting a ticket!

And congratulations to Kumar Pallana, an 85-year-old Indian actor/performer/yoga guru who manages to steal the whole show.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home