A bird's eye view

Life from where I see it

Monday, February 14, 2005

Weekend catch up

On Friday we went to see Sideways. It really is an excellent film but an unlikely Oscar candidate. It was about two 40-somethings who go on a stag wine tasting week. The groom is desparate to get laid and the best man freaked out about virtually everything.

The lead actor, Paul Giamatti, was absolutely convincing if a little too creepy as he reminded me precisely of someone I work with, down to their facial characteristics - it was like spying on his life.

On Saturday I did a protest cycle and march with about 3,000 other people to mark the beginning of the Kyoto agreement. We paraded through London carrying flags of all the countries which have signed up, stopped off at the Australian embassy (not signed) and finished up at the American embassy (not signed up).

It was great fun and very colourful. But one disturbing thing was that the old bill had photographers out snapping away, taking our pictures. It was very sinister. After all, we were just exercising our democratic right to protest, there was no trouble.

I made the mistake of asking an officer what the photos were for and received an interrogration about who I was, which groups I belonged to, where I live etc. I managed to deflect all the questions but the officer was very scary - like a non-comedy Herr Flick. We weren't even treated that badly in Turkmenistan! I always tell TOH off when he slags off the police but on this occasion I agreed with him that they were behaving like c***s.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home