A bird's eye view

Life from where I see it

Monday, December 20, 2004

I know the feeling's not mutual but I have forgiven you, Jesus

Office Party

The Wapping Project looked lovely. They had lined the path to the entrance with flaming outdoor candles and lined the ante-room with fake snow and red carpet.



Huge chandeliers hungs from the lofty rafters and waiters circulated the room handing out drinks.

There was a DJ playing a wide mix of music but I mostly sat about talking to colleagues. I left before midnight so am not sure if I missed any gossip or not.

Boating

Saturday and Sunday, I brought my lovely Ganges back down the river during the day. It was mostly cold, cold and more cold.

Dad helped the first day, and The Other Half on the second. Actually the second leg was even colder!

But despite the freezing temperatures we did managed to have a flaming row with the rowing club. As we set off, one fella passed us and shouted at us about being on the river (it was hard to hear what he was saying over the noise of the engine) but I think he was saying there were more rowers coming down.

'What do you want me to do about it?' I shouted back. TOH simply said: 'Piss off, dickhead,' which I thought was inspired; a proper schoolboy response. We were laughing.

The rest of the rowers came by without a problem. They were being barked at by their coach, who was cycling along the towpath.

When we finally caught them up as they took a break, I think it turns out the trainer was shouting at us. I have no idea why. I was on my side of the river, going at an appropriate speed.

While one of the rowers was lamenting that we had somehow 'spoiled the race', TOH was busy telling the midget-bully-boy-coach that his face was going very red when he shouted that I was not fit to be in charge of a boat!

As you can imagine, that little remark brought the red mist down. After telling the rowers they need to learn to share the water I was stunned into just shaking my head and repeating: 'I can't believe the rudeness, the ignorance. I just don't believe it. How dare they.'

I rang British Waterways and they agreed that the rowers had no right of way and suggested I write and complain about their behaviour to both the club secretary and BW HQ. I think I will.

Morrissey

On the way to Earl's Court on Saturday night, I told The Other Half how much I would love Mozza to play How Soon Is Now, which is in my top five all-time toppest songs ever. I'd have it as my First Dance song, if it wasn't so entirely inappropriate.

(The La's There She Goes has also been ruled out by TOH who dubbed it a "drugs song".)

And Lo! Like a representative of a higher being (he was dressed as a Catholic priest), the first song He played was indeed How Soon Is Now.

Such emotion, such showmanship. What a great man he is.



In between songs he made his trademark cryptic comments such as 'Why did you come here', '[Morrisey] It's a great name, but look where it's been' and 'I happy to be here in Earl's Court. But what does that mean?'

Some speculated that last comment suggested that it was his last UK gig but to be honest, would you chose Earl's Court as your big finale and only play one encore song?

I made a note of the playlist so we can make our own gig CD:


How Soon Is Now?
First Of The Gang To Die
November Spawned A Monster
Don't Make Fun Of Daddy's Voice
Bigmouth Strikes Again (As the flames rose to her Roman nose, her iPod started to melt)
I Like You
Redondo Beach (Patti Smith cover)
Let Me Kiss You
Subway Intro/munich air disaster 1958
There Is A Light That Never Goes Out
The More You Ignore Me The Closer I Get
Friday Mourning
I Have Forgiven Jesus
The World Is Full Of Crashing Bores
Shoplifters Of The World Unite
Irish Blood English Heart
You Know I Couldn't Last
(Encore) Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home