A bird's eye view

Life from where I see it

Monday, December 13, 2004

I Heart Ganges (and TOH)

Two years today! Two years of being boyfriended up with the lovely, lovely Other Half. Who'd have thought it, eh? Two years. And it only feels like a few months ...

But I am so, so tired. I have spent the past five days working on my boat. And it is filthy work - the first two days were spent scraping, blasting and sanding and being covered in muck and blowing black bogies.

Yesterday and today, I finally got some paint on the roof and sides, and although it will need another coat in the spring, it is looking good!

Thanks to able seamen TOH and Dad who helped with the hard work, in the cold and damp and misery!

The guy who runs the boatyard, Richard, is an absolute star. He has been dishing out advice and bits of kit and tools left, right and center. No doubt I will have to pay for it in the end, when he presents me with a HUGE bill, but the help has been appreciated.

At one point, after the surveyor came and tested the hull (and said it was basically as good as it was when it was made 20 years ago) I had a bit of welding done to strengthen a couple of areas.

The welder, Alan (who looked exactly like Ricky Grover) had me on 'firewatch' inside the bathroom. It was most disconcerting to see smoke billowing out from behind the wall panels as the welding heated up the polystyrene liner!

I went to the local go-kart track today to pick up a load of tyres to use as fenders. They are going to look really cool - they are so dinky and cute!

But, my god! it is hard work. Another good reason for selling while it is in its prime! So if anyone you know wants a beautiful vessel to live on, email me.

Friday night we went to the Greenpeace Christmas party. That was ... interesting. Lots of drunk hippy-types dancing about and shivering outside in the freezing cold smoking fags. But Greenpeace HQ is in a very cool building in Cannonbury, so it was interesting to have a nose about.

We saw I Heart Huckabees last night. What a weird film! Existentialist detectives, if you please!

I was very happy to see that Jude Law still isn't very good at acting. It just goes to show what a pretty face does for you. Somehow, even though he is so very successful and in demand, it makes me feel better that he isn't there because he is talented.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home