A bird's eye view

Life from where I see it

Monday, July 25, 2005

Mister and Missus

Well, it's been a long time since I posted on here! In the past 18 days, I have got married and been on a wonderful honeymoon to Scotland.

Turning the clock back, the days leading up to the wedding were extremely hectic - there was much running around and at least one 17-hour day getting stuff organised.

The actual 'big day' started off very relaxed - breakfast in the hotel, hair and make-up done by a stylist, wedding dress slipped on, shoes on feet. Then I realised it was five to 12 and I was supposed to be at the wedding venue and the cab hadn't arrived.

I turned from serene bride to screeching harpie, shouting orders and generally losing my composure. A hastily-ordered cab and the make-up girl's car came to the rescue and I was only half-hour late for the ceremony. TOH is used to me being late for most things, so he was still pretty relaxed, well as relaxed as a man about to say his vows can be.

(It later turned out that the cab he took to the venue may well have been the one which would have picked me up - if he hadn't opened the door into the path of another vehicle and almost caused it to be ripped off the car!)

As I walked down the aisle, I remember squeezing my dad's hand so hard, I almost pulled it off his arm. All I could see was my lovely groom stood on a platform watching me. I had a bit of tunnel vision and cannot remember anything else except his smiling face.

The rest of the ceremony rushed by - the vows, the rings, the singing of Jerusalem. I felt lucky though that my nerves manifested as giggles rather than floods of uncontrollable tears, which I had feared. The musicians did us proud after causing a bit of a fuss about playing the tunes we wanted. They managed to play There She Goes by The La's (me coming down the aisle) and The Mamas and Papas California Dreamin' (as we left) brilliantly on their string quartet.

And so, as newly-weds, we went out on to the lawn for pink bubbly and the start of a gruelling photo session. The guests all looked lovely, we were bedecked with flower petals and bubbles instead of confetti and joy of all joys, the weather was perfect. Sunny, not too hot and a light cooling breeze. I always knew the sun would be shining - I have friends in extremely high places to sort that sort of thing out for me!

From the garden, we walked down to Putney Pier and boarded The Edwardian to take us on a Thames cruise down to Greenwich. As we passed the pub next door we were cheered and clapped by hundreds of Celtic supporters, and treated to their terrace chants. It was a fantastic feeling to be celebrated so brilliantly by a bunch of complete strangers!

The river trip was super - all the guests were really enjoying themselves and taking in the sights. I think we managed to talk to a few people in between having our pictures taken!

Once in Greenwich we disembarked and headed to The Trafalgar Tavern for the reception. TOH and I 'hid' in a side room while Sara serenaded the guests on the piano while they found their seats. Then Steve asked all to rise for 'Mr and Mrs TOH' and there were cheers and claps!

For the first time ever, TOH couldn't eat his dinner. He was very nervous about giving his speech but he needn't have worried as he was like an old pro. My dad's speech, and that of the best man, were also very good - the party was raving about all three performances for the rest of the evening. I might be biased, but TOH's really was the best groom's speech I've ever heard!

And from then on the day continued in a blur - we did our first dance brilliantly except for the fact the heel of my shoe went through the hem of my dress and rather impeded my movement!

I think we managed to talk to most people (except, unfortunately for them, the immediate family who I felt comfortable with ignoring a bit in favour of long lost friends), especially those that came for the evening, and have a few drinks.

I even remembered to thrown my bouquet, which caused some kerfuffle among the single girls. It was eventually won by Michelle from TOH's office but she had to work hard for it!

By the time our cab came at 1am, I was ready to slip off with my husband and head home where I found a fragrant bedroom, bed scattered with rose petals.

The whole day was like a dream. I hardly felt like I was even there most of the time. Even now, it is hard to truly feel like we had anything to do with it. And it is also weird being married - I don't feel any different to I did before. Maybe because I have been so in love with TOH for such a long time that we have been 'married' for ages already so there is nothing to feel different about?

I am sure given time I will get used to saying 'my husband' without sounding like I am playing at being a grown up!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home