A bird's eye view

Life from where I see it

Wednesday, August 04, 2004

We're not worthy

(Fish body count: one more casualty)

I have a new hero. She is an 86-year-old woman called Great Aunt Liz.

Organic gardener, Greenpeace activist, Amnesty campaigner and all-round inspiration.

She was born in 1918, grew up in Hull, worked during the Second World War, had kids and did all the usual housewifey things until she went off and joined the Greenham Common protest. When she was in her late 60s.

She has spent the past 20 years climbing scaffolding on protests about Sellafield, getting arrested (and spending two weeks in prison) over the Greenham campaign, travelling around the world, dancing around in costumes to save the puffins, and generally getting involved in things when most people her age are dribbling in old people's homes.

She even has a wicked glint in her eye when she talks about the 'little old ladies' in Falmouth, like she was still in her teens.

And, she's a crossword demon.

How many people moan about the state of the planet and society while drinking bottles of red wine around tables laden with food, never getting off their fat arses and doing a thing about it?

I am one of those people but Great Aunt Liz has inspired me to be a bit more proactive. I too am joining Greenpeace, and even if I just hand out leaflets once a year, it's a lot more than I do right now!

I hope I have that clarity of mind if I ever live to be 86.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home