A bird's eye view

Life from where I see it

Thursday, March 09, 2006

Try out your comedy

Steve and I went to the Comedy Cafe in Rivington Street last night. He decided to drive as it was cold and rainy and miserable.

In order to encourage people to patronise the pubs, restaurants etc in the area Hackney Council has adopted the policy of making parking meters cost 20p for three minutes until 11pm at night.

So we got back in the car and crossed the border into Tower Hamlets, which allows free parking after 5.30pm.

It was tryout night at the cafe. The first three acts were appalling. Give them a round of applause for getting up on stage in front of an audience - an audience is laughing at you, not with you.

As the evening progressed, the acts got better.

Some of my favourite lines:

'Michael Jackson is the perfect Scooby Doo baddie. He hides behind a rubbery face that isn't his, he lives in a disused fairground and he would have got away with it if it weren't for those pesky kids.'

'I was so wasted when I got back to my hotel. I put on the TV and watched one of those old Charlie Chaplin movies. Later I realised it was a documentary about Hitler. What the hell was I laughing at?'

'I love when you get off the Tube at Old Street. The driver says please alight here for Moorfields Eye Hospital. Mind the gap, mind the gap. Now you would have thought if there is one station that shouldn't have a gap between the train and the platform, it would be the one where most passengers are blind, trying to find the largest eye hospital in the country'.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home