A bird's eye view

Life from where I see it

Monday, July 02, 2007

A year off!

Good lord - has it really been so long since I last posted on this little-read blog?
What has happened in all that time?
Well, I shall list events in order:

1. I gave up my job after the office bully boy was installed as my 'boss' after my immediate boss managed to leave with a nice payment for 'unfair dismissal'. Yes the evil world of newspaper publishing shat on the little people and women (which the management seemed to be scared of in the manner of Father Dougal on Craggy Island) so I had no choice but to leave too. Unfortunately, I didn't get a nice payment. I just lost my job ...

2. Went freelance instead and did a stint at a new (equally shambolic) rival free paper.

3. Got pregnant.

4. Moved to the sticks. Yes, we are no longer Londoners but country folk way up north in Bedfordshire. We now live in a Victorian semi-detached castle which we are trying to restore. The outside has been repointed, the battlements made safe and soon we should have new windows which don't allow gales through. The inside, however, remains a tribute to 80s decor - turquoise bathroom suite, dado rails, Artex ceilings and wallpaper borders.

5. Started a gardening course one day a week with a view to eventually (maybe) getting into garden design. My own gardens are no advertisment of any skill though, unless a client would like an impressive collection of bind weed and brambles!

6. Gave up work all together as pregnancy progressed and I turned into a) a fat blimp and b) a figure of much scorn and hatred on the tube, which I couldn't stand. Actually, it was partly because I had to stand all the way to work and all the way back from King's Cross on the Circle Line as people are so fucking rude and selfish that I eventually gave up work a couple of months early.

5. Had a baby. A little boy, who is absolutely delightful. Started to attend coffee mornings and breastfeed in various cafes (and today a pub thanks to the end of the filthy smoking brigade) around the country. There are many more weird and wonderful biological functions which I now enjoy as a mother but shan't go into them here.

So, life has changed immeasurably for me. Not quite so much for TOH, who still trundles off to his office in London Town five days a week and does lots of training for triathlons in his spare time!

Will write about the past year as the thoughts enter my mind. In the mean time, let's have a laugh at the UK's most rubbish terrorists who, after trying to drive into Glasgow airport several times, managed to set themselves on fire.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home