A bird's eye view

Life from where I see it

Monday, January 17, 2005

America, fuck yeah!

Unbelievably, on Friday we went to the cinema to see Team America - World Police, quite possibly the funniest film since Shrek II. Tears of laughter rolling down the audience's collective faces. Not for the faint-hearted but every line was a winner. Even the way the puppets walk is more hilarious than you could ever imagine.



Saturday I went to Richmond Park for the first time, with Tidy, Esther and T's housemate Kate for a bike ride. And what a massive surprise was awaiting me!

Expecting something like a really big Greenwich Park I was really taken aback to find it is like a huge rambling heath/wooded wilderness, with people cantering about on horses and wild deer roaming, right on the edge of the heart of London Town.

While I puzzled over why it has taken me 32 years to go there, we had a jolly time whizzing about the trails. I rode my girl's bike, which is really for roads but it held up to the challenge of towpath-type conditions, even with it's thin road tyres. A mountain bike would have been better, but I was very pleased with its performance.



In the evening TOH and I went to The Garage, Islington, to hear one of his mate's friend's band, The Sunshine Variety Club. The band were ok. The singer was a 'character' but had a limited voice. The mate's friend wore a pale imitation of A Clockwork Orange outfit. The general impression was rather like watching the sort of band that would play at the end of term in Grange Hill, which I suspect is not what they were aiming for.

The first band on, however, was excellent. The were called Nation (sadly bearing no relation to the lovely Toby, Tidy) and looked like a grown up Hanson but sounded pretty good. I would definitely buy their album, if it were more widely available than exclusively in Oxford's Virgin Records.



Sunday we helped save the planet by joining fellow Greenpeacers at two E$$O stations in Stratford and trying to pursuade people not to buy fuel there. We were very successful. I donned a tiger suit and TOH even wore a GP bib! He had lots of fun tapping on the windows of people who had bought petrol and giving them a leaflet explaining why they shouldn't. For once, a highly successful action!

After, we met some of the ringleader types in the pub to discuss setting up an East London meeting. It was all going well (just and hour and ten to agree whether it would be on the first, or second, Tuesday, or Wednesday, of the month) until the Essex fella quite firmly told us when our first meeting will be (the second Monday of February) so he, and North London, could attend. Fun and games. It was a real Life Of Brian discussion. And even then, our first meeting will be about how to run the meetings!! Give me strength!

And now, Monday morning, I had to get up at the crack of dawn (hence this early update) to let in the workmen who are replacing our ceiling and bathroom floor tiles. I am literally up to my armpits with builders. A few years ago, I might have enjoyed that, but now, I just want them finished and gone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home